- gall wasp
- nounsmall solitary wasp that produces galls on oaks and other plants• Syn: ↑gallfly, ↑cynipid wasp, ↑cynipid gall wasp• Hypernyms: ↑wasp• Member Holonyms: ↑Cynipidae, ↑family Cynipidae
* * *noun: one of the Cynipidae : a hymenopterous gallfly
* * *any wasp of the family Cynipidae, the larvae of which form characteristic galls on plants.[1875-80]
* * *gallfly /gölˈ/ or gall wasp nounAn insect of the hymenopterous family Cynipidae that causes galls by depositing its eggs in plants• • •Main Entry: ↑gall————————gall wasp see ↑gallfly above.• • •Main Entry: ↑gall
* * *gall wasp,any one of a family of wasps which cause galls on plants.
* * *n. a small winged insect of antlike appearance. The female lays its egg in plant tissue, which swells to form a gall when the larva hatches. ● Superfamily Cynipoidea, order Hymenoptera: several genera
Useful english dictionary. 2012.